It is impossible to say the exact number of kinds of cheeses in Italy. It can only be sure that regardless of any kind of cheese, Italy has conquered the world with its massive cheese “treasure” and premium quality. In that list, Fontina cheese has an indisputable place in Italian cuisine as well as the world.
What is Fontina Cheese?
Fontina cheese is the first kind of cheese to be on this honorary list. Fontina cheese is derived from the Aosta valley located in southern Italy, Fontina attracts people’s attention from the surface with many small air holes and especially the creamy flavor increasing with time of incubation. Therefore, Fontina cheese is famous partly for its characteristic flavor. Furthermore, Fontina cheese plays an important role in many recipes of mainly Italian dishes.
After going through the process of heating, squeezing, salting and shaping for 3 to 10 months, Fontina cheese will be finished with high Italian quality and flavor.
Fontina cheese has flavors of soil, mushrooms and wood, so it is often processed with grilled meats or truffles. Fontina cheese brewed up for a short time is especially suitable for making Fondue – a very famous cheese hotpot in the world. However, no matter brewed up for a long time or a short time, Fontina is quite easy to melt. It is suitable for slicing and used for cakes that need to be baked afterward to achieve a medium melted cheese dish.
Benefits of Fontina Cheese
Experts say that Fontina cheese is the perfect choice for both children and adults thanks to its essential nutritional components.
The right way to eat cheese can have such effects as:
- Provide excellent sources of protein to replace meat: If you are looking for ways to reduce meat consumption, cheese is the right choice. The amount of protein in this ingredient has the ability to increase muscle as well as help digestion.
- Provide calcium and minerals: The amount of calcium in Fontina cheese is 6 times higher than milk. Besides, Fontina cheese brings a variety of vitamin D, folic acid, phosphorus, so on to help the bone system develop well. Along with that, these nutrients also help the brain and heart have the ability to maintain high stability.
- Good for oral health: Fontina cheese also supports the healthy development of teeth. The calcium in Fontina cheese is both good for the bones and very good for the teeth. The combination of casein, phosphorus, calcium in Fontina cheese will add resistance to the substance that the tooth has lost.
- Prevent high blood pressure, balance cholesterol: Fontina cheese contains many beneficial bacteria such as lactic and propionic bacteria. Millions of these beneficial bacteria will help prevent the risk of high blood pressure and cholesterol balance. On the other hand, Fontina cheese offers good support for digestive problems. For example, it includes preventing diarrhea, stomach ulcers and bowel cancer.
- Offer antioxidant and natural fats: Fontina cheese contains selenium which has antioxidant properties and helps strengthen the immune system. In addition, Fontina cheese is also rich in beneficial natural fats, omega-3 and protein that help reduce energy absorption during meals.
- Prevent cancer: Fontina cheese is also known as a familiar food that has the ability to prevent cancer. In cheese, there are two conjugated substances, linoleic acid, and sphingolipid, which have the ability to prevent cancer. In addition, vitamin B in Fontina cheese also works to maintain body functions and prevent many different diseases.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What ingredients are Fontina cheese made from?
Fontina is a cheese that also comes from Italy but unlike Mozzarella, fontina is made from cow’s milk. Cheese is formed based on dairy products and undergoes fermentation and screening.
2. What season is the best Fontina cheese produced?
Despite being produced continuously throughout the year, summer is the time when this cheese is at its best. In this summertime, the cows are only fed with fresh grass, so the milk will create a characteristic aroma.
3. I love Fontina cheese. If I eat Fontina cheese everyday, will it lead to obesity?
Due to the high amount of protein and fat, many people are concerned about whether or not eating cheese is fat. Especially parents who feed their children but are afraid of being obese.
Due to being made from cow’s milk, Fontina cheese also possesses good nutrients from milk, especially the content of protein, minerals, calcium. Fontina cheese possesses a large amount of calcium, an essential protein for the body.
According to research, in 15g cheese, there are nearly 40 calories, 3g fat and a lot of other calcium and minerals. This is equivalent to 60ml of milk or half of yogurt. In particular, the amount of fat in 1 piece of cheese is only half a teaspoon of oil or 6 peanuts.
Therefore, with the above nutritional content, whether eating cheese will lead to obesity or not depends on your food balance for the day. Accordingly, the amount of the above calories is not high compared to the energy consumption of the day. Eating cheese does not lead to obesity, but if you do not know how to balance your portions with other foods, you will be more likely to become obese.
4. What is the difference between butter and cheese?
We use butter and cheese to prepare everyday dishes. However, many people mistakenly think that butter and cheese have similar ingredients, so it’s fine to use butter or cheese. So what’s the difference between butter and cheese?
To distinguish butter and cheese, we will base on the nutritional profiles of these two products:
- Fat content: Butter has a very high content of fat (83.5%) and is classified as a high-fat food group. However, the fat in cheese counts only 1% for fresh cheeses and 34% for fresh cheeses.
- Protein content: Butter has a protein content of only 1%. Cheese is again high in protein at 25.5% and classified as a high protein food group.
- Calcium content: In 100 grams of butter, there is only 12% calcium, but in cheese, it is very high up to 76%.
- Iron content: In butter, the iron content is 0.1% and in cheese, it is 0.5%.
Thus, with the above comparison, we can clearly see that the nutritional ingredients in these 2 foods are not the same.
5. Butter and cheese, which one is better?
Butter is an energy-rich, mostly fat food. Butter contains a lot of cholesterol, so eating too much butter will affect the cholesterol in the body. Therefore, for the elderly, people who are obese or have the cardiovascular disease should limit eating margarine. We should use butter as a substitute for oils or fats in cooking (because they are all in the high-fat group).
On the other hand, cheese is different, they contain a lot of protein but are low in fat. Thus, it does not affect your heart. In addition, the nutrients in cheese also help strengthen bones, strengthen the immune system, provide a rich source of protein and the substances in cheese also prevent cancer effectively.
That doesn’t mean bad butter and good cheese. But depending on your health status, you can choose the right food.
Since butter and cheese aren’t in the same food group, you can eat butter and still add cheese. Cheese can replace food groups such as meat, fish, eggs, milk because they are rich in protein.
6. Where to buy Fontina cheese?
Fontina is quite popular nowadays and you can easily order and buy it. If you do not know where to buy, here are some places to buy:
- Ecommerce sites: you can easily order on big sites like amazon with many different prices and categories. However, the above purchase is simple but limited delivery time.
- Supermarkets and convenience stores: Fontina cheese products are popular, so you can buy them at supermarkets and convenience stores near your home. It is simply without worrying about product quality. However, products here will not be as diverse as elsewhere.
- Trade center: Here you will find the right Fontina cheese you need without worrying about the quality as well as origin. However, the price will be higher than elsewhere and searching for Fontina cheese here also takes quite a bit of time.
- Retail stores: A few retail stores have Fontina cheese products, so buying here will take time to find and the risk of product quality is also high.
7. How to preserve Fontina cheese?
Here are the things to keep in mind for the best cheese preservation:
Keep the cheese low temperature and in the packaging
Fresh Fontina cheese
Fresh cheeses should always be refrigerated and should be used within 4 to 10 days. The best way to store Fontina cheeses is to keep them in their original packaging, keep them in boxes, and store them in the cooler top of the refrigerator.
In general, the most susceptible factor for cheese spoilage is oxygen. That’s why cheese is often sold in vacuum packaging because it can last longer than others, even if it’s fresh Fontina cheese. A typical example of this type of storage is block-packed cheese used for pizza.
Hard Fontina cheese
The best way to protect hard cheeses is to wrap them tightly with waterproof paper or wax paper and then seal with tape or elastic.
Fontina cheese has always been a favorite taste for many culinary devotees. People love these creamy, fragrant and fluffy Fontina cheese slices because they can be combined with many perfect cheese dishes stimulating all tastes. The above article has provided you with some useful information. We hope you will have a beautiful experience with this wonderful dish.