Even in the modern world, it is still very attractive to use traditional kitchen utensils. For example, a food mill acts as a bridge between a food processor or a blender. A food mill is a strainer that purifies or mashes soft foods such as tomatoes, cooked vegetables, legumes, and fruits, like raspberries and blackberries. Food mills that remove seeds, skin, fiber, and other unnecessary pulp are the best. They only permit the pure flesh through.
These useful kitchen tools are not all created equal. Food mills can vary in size and quality depending on the materials they are made from. How do you choose the right one for you? To help you choose the best food mill for you, we have created a shopping guide.
What’s a Food Mill?
A food mill, also known as a rotary or rotary food mill, is a machine that can be used to grind or puree food. It is usually hand-powered and simple. Because they are simple and easy to use, food mills are often found in professional kitchens.
A food mill is usually shaped like a large perforated bowl with an outward-facing crank. The crank attaches directly to a plate or blade that turns the food, milling it until the food is ready for cooking.
List Of 17 Best Food Mill Reviews
1. Weston Electric Food 3 Stainless Steel Milling Discs
- An electric model such as this Weston model is a good choice if you are a home canner, or have a lot to puree. Motorized milling actions eliminate the need to crank manually. This is fine for small amounts but can lead to major arm fatigue.
- People have used manual food mills for generations to make smooth, homemade sauces, soups, and purees. The Weston electric food mill does all the work of a traditional food mill, plus it saves time and effort. You can achieve smooth results with 3 stainless steel discs that allow you to produce fine, medium, and coarse textures.
- Contrary to food processors or blenders that make it difficult to control the Texture and require you to peel first and then strain out any seeds, the Weston electric food mill does everything in one step. It’s high time that you tried a food processor or blender. The Weston electric mill is great for anyone who wants to be a chef at home, a Canner, or a gardener.
2. OXO Good Grips Food Mill
- OXO Food Mill’s stainless steel structure ensures a strong construction. The tough, robust plastic outer body is constructed. The three-foldable feet can be used to secure your pot or bowl up to 11 inches in diameter. That’s quite a wide range of pots and bowls that you can use.
- This OXO Good Grips Food Mill’s stainless steel bowl is ideal for hot food and resists staining. The OXO miller’s key feature is its non-slip knob and handles that provide stability and comfort when turning the blade and gripping it.
- The stainless steel bowl resists acidic foods and corrosion. It also has a large capacity, which allows you to cook larger meals simultaneously. The bowl’s 2.3-quart size includes three grinding discs. These disks can be used to make batches of food of fine, medium, and coarse textures. A fine disc is for making jams and jellies and a medium disc is for making vegetable soups.
- A coarse disc can be used for making mashed potatoes or chunky sauces. It’s easy to put your OXO Good Grips Food Mill in the dishwasher, then just store it. It cleans just as well as any garbage disposal cleaner in the kitchen. These are the main features that you should look for in a food processor.
3. Mirro 50024 Foley Stainless Steel Healthy Food Mill Cookware
- The Mirro 50024 food mill is made from stainless steel, which allows it to last for a long time. This material protects the food processor from corrosion, rust, and other harsh stains. This food mill has a sturdy structure that makes it easy to use. This food mill can be used for a variety of functions, including straining and grating.
- The material will not react with food in the bowl so you don’t have to worry about any toxins or other waste being released into the food. It is easy to make tomato sauce, puree, mashed potatoes, and squashes. You can mill moderate amounts of fruits and veggies in one batch with the stainless steel bowl’s capacity of 2 quarts.
- It is easy to use and you can grip it easily. It is also very sturdy, so it won’t break anytime soon. Although the disc blade is excellent at separating the skin and seeds from the puree, it can get clogged up quite often. To push food through the perforated disc, you might use a spatula. This will make the food-milling process slower.
4. Cuisipro Deluxe Food Mill
- Cuisipro’s food mill is a great option if your mill is used frequently and you need something that can take it. It looks great. It’s all stainless steel with an industrial look as if it just came from a Michelin-starred kitchen.
- This extends to the moment you actually start using it. You have all the options to make whatever you like with the three discs, and the large bowl with easy-grip handles makes it so easy to use.
- The unique blade addition is something you won’t find on other mills. The mills have a unique blade addition made of plastic. It scrapes the excess puree from the bowl and passes it through the mill, leaving nothing behind.
- Cuisipro stands behind its products and offers a 25-year guarantee. Cleaning is the only problem we could locate. Although it can be taken apart, it would be great to be able to throw it in the dishwasher.
5. Weston Stainless Steel Food Mill
- The Weston Stainless Steel food mill is ideal for making sauces and purees, soups jams, jellies, or mashed potatoes. You can also Mash and Sieve soft foods.
- It has a 2-Quart capacity and is dishwasher-safe. Three stainless steel milling discs are included to process all soft foods.
6. Granite Ware Stainless Steel Deluxe Food Mill
- Granite Ware Stainless steel Deluxe Food Mill makes it easy to make tomato puree, mashed potatoes, and apple sauce. This deluxe food processor is the perfect tool for making fresh sauces, purees, and soups.
- This food mill can transform raw food or prepared foods into sauces and purees without the need for seeds and skins. The food mill does all the seeding, peeling, and other tasks automatically. This is a time-saving feature that you will appreciate.
- Granite Ware’s food mill can also be used over your pot and mixing bowl to prevent spillages. The food mill’s handle and two clip end help to stabilize it so that food processing is safe.
- Granite Ware’s food mill comes with three stainless-steel grinding discs: fine, medium, or course. This gives you the ability to make creamy sauces, smooth jellies, and vegetable soups.
7. Rösle Food Mill/Passetout with 2 Disks
- Rosle’s food mill is the best on the market. The German brand has been producing stainless steel kitchenware since 1888 and has a solid reputation for the quality of its products. The quality 18/10 stainless-steel food mill comes with two sieve disks, one for 3mm and one for 1mm.
- This food mill is not like the OXO Good Grips food mill that has three feet on its base. It has three support hooks so it can sit on your bowl or pot.
8. Mirro 50024 Foley Stainless Steel Healthy Food Mill
- Mirro is our next food mill, and its timeless design will fit seamlessly in any kitchen. It is made from stainless steel, which is durable and can withstand rusting and other damage. This food mill is ideal for people who only need it occasionally.
- This food mill is easy to use because of its simplicity. You probably won’t even require the instructions. The mill comes with a stainless-steel crank and a plastic knob. It comes pre-assembled with a single blade and one stainlesssteel sieve disc.
- It is a well-built, affordable food mill. However, heavy-duty users complain that it is more labor-intensive than they expected. They also claimed that food can be trapped more easily than other models.
- Mirro’s food mill can make thinner sauces such as apple sauce. It has a capacity of two quarts. The entire machine is dishwasher-safe, though the smaller crevices might need to be cleaned by hand every now and again. This food mill is easy to use and clean, making it a great choice for novice millers.
9. Stainless Steel Food Mill FLOTTE LOTTE by GEFU
- Are you annoyed by the tendency for fruits and vegetables to become stuck in the walls of a mill? Are you annoyed when you have to remove perfectly edible pieces of tomato or apple and throw them away because they didn’t get stuck in the food mill?
- The GEFU’s FLOTTELOTTE is a solution to both of these issues! It is only one problem, but it still matters! The unique vertical plate that is built into the device will ensure that food particles are not trapped in the structure. There’s more pulp left to grind, which means less work for you when it comes to cleaning up. What’s not love about that?
- The FLOTTE LOTTE food mill is easy to maintain, which is quite a feat. It is dishwasher safe so you can just toss it in your dishwasher and wait for the magic to happen.
10. WINWARE Stainless Steel Vegetable Mill
- Winco SVM-8 is a high-quality semi-circular blade food mill that can perfectly puree or strain cooked fruits and vegetables. The best quality stainless steel has been used to build all parts of this food mill. This ensures a longer life span and is rust- and corrosion-resistant.
- The food mill can be used to make large quantities of food. It has two quartz volumes, which means it can strain or puree more food for your whole family. It is also suitable for making soups and fine purees. You can choose from three interchangeable discs in different sizes, including 3mm, 3mm, and 5mm.
- A long bar is also included in the unit. It creates constant pressure to crush food while retaining its fiber, skin, and seeds. The blades are dishwasher-safe, but food can get stuck between them, so manual removal is necessary.
11. ALDKitchen Grain Mill
- The unit is made of full stainless steel and features an electric mill grinder as well as a powerful motor. This makes it a high-efficiency grain crusher. The ALD-S3000 Kitchen Grain Mill Grinder is capable of processing 3000g. This makes it suitable for commercial milling in shops, hotels, and other establishments. You’ll be amazed at how easy the ALF-S3000 is to use for all kinds of grain processing.
- The miller’s high processing capacity is not only impressive, but it also speeds up the process. It turns large amounts of grain into smooth powder quickly. The ALD-S3000 is capable of processing soya beans and dried corn as well as root spices like ginger.
- The mill has a buckle that eliminates waste, despite the high grinding speed. Simply put your grain in the mill and turn the analog control. The manufacturer provides an overload protection device for the electric motor to ensure that the mill does not burn out quickly. You don’t even have to lift the whole mill to pour your grain.
12. green sprouts Fresh Baby Food Mill
- Buyers who aren’t willing to compromise quality for price will love the green sprouts Fresh Baby Food Mill. This handy food mill is ideal for small quantities of fruits and vegetables. It quickly separates the seeds and skins from your puree. You can also use it to puree soft meats. Although it is intended for baby food use, it can also be used to puree other foods.
- The compact design and built-in bowl make it easy to puree or grind foods while on the move. Because it is fully manual, it doesn’t require batteries or electricity. If you are away from home, you don’t have to worry about finding an electrical source. It is also completely dishwasher-safe and made of BPA-free plastic.
- The product’s quality and low price are appreciated by reviewers. It works as well as more expensive machines and can be used while on the move. It’s also easy to clean.
- You can just disassemble it and put it in the dishwasher. The stainless steel grinding disk is preferred over similar products made from plastic. They also like that the disc is easy to use, even for those who are new to pureeing.
13. Cuisinart Stainless food mill
- This ergonomic design is perfect for milling purees. This handle is designed for easy and smooth turning so that you can mill through more pounds of produce with less pressure. The knob and handle are coated in no-stick silicone.
- There are three types of grating discs included in the food mill. One coarse for salsa and mashed potatoes, and one fine for smooth pureed vegetable soups. The silicone cover keeps the silicone cover in place and allows for a generously sized looped handle to be placed on the bowl’s rim.
- For easy cleanup, just put your project in the dishwasher when you are done. Cuisinart is renowned for its high-quality products, and this food mill shows that. Its durable design and high-quality materials will withstand the test of time.
14. Küchenprofi K0966002820 Professional Stainless Steel Food Mill
- Four grinding discs are available for the Kuchenprofi food mill. These include coarse, standard, and fine discs, as well as a super-fine, 1.3mm disc that can be used to make a puree of a vegetable or fruit. You won’t have to strain food with tough skins thanks to the easy-to-use knob. The perforated bottom and easy-turning hand crank are two of the key features.
- This food mill is dishwasher-safe stainless steel in 18/10 and can handle a lot of fruits and vegetables. We found that it is best to start with small pieces of food for the best results. Bakers will also want the best Nutribullet blender options or stand mixer accessories.
15. Norpro, Silver Multi-Purpose Food Mill
- The Norpro food mill is multifunctional and can be used as a ricer, masher, or strainer. You can prepare many purees, mashes, or sauces with the bowl’s capacity of 2.2 quarts.
- The food mill’s sturdy construction allows it to last for a long time. It is durable and simple to use. It is unlikely that your food mill will rust or become disintegrated in the near future. Its high-quality construction allows it to withstand extreme conditions.
- You can easily disassemble the entire food mill for quick cleaning. It is easy to clean the food mill’s disc sieves and other parts. To open the bottom of the food mill, you might need a wrench.
16. Winco Stainless Steel Food Mill
- This stainless steel food mill measures 8 inches in diameter and has a bar handle that hooks onto the edge of your pan to strain the vegetables. Because it is made from stainless steel, it is easy to clean.
- The package includes three different sizes of sieve plates: coarse, medium, and fine. It is capable of handling cooked fruits and vegetables, as well as most soft fruits (if making jelly or jam). This mill is ideal if you need to strain finely in order to remove any seeds.
17. VICTORIO VKP250 Food Strainer
- The Deluxe Food Strainer & Sauce Maker by Victorio Kitchen Products is a cheaper option, but it does not have the same functionality. This food mill is ideal for making batches of tomato sauce, salsa, and other delicious dishes.
- Food screens (sieves) are made for certain foods. For example, you can get a berry screen to prevent seeds from getting through, a pumpkin screen to protect larger fruits and vegetables, or a salsa screen to mill tomatoes. If you need replacement screens, they are easy to find and affordable.
- It is possible to purchase either a manual or a motorized version if you wish to spare your arm from the repetitive work.
Buying Guide for the Best Food Mill
Do you love to cook? No matter what category you fall under, or if you are somewhere in between, you will need a food mill in your kitchen in order to do some activities. Electric blenders are not capable of making apple sauce or mashed potatoes the way grandma did. Some mills are capable of making baby meals using food mills that can be used to enhance baby formulas. We also have separate reviews for appliances that can make baby food.
Food mills that are simple to use and can be used with interchangeable disks are the best. You can mill large quantities at once with their various capacities. They are made from durable and sturdy materials. It should not be difficult to clean your food mills. Do you want leftovers from your last meal to linger? This reminds us that if you make large quantities of food you may want to consider a vacuum sealer for preservation and storage.
Food mills make it easy to do certain types of cooking tasks. You can use them to puree tomatoes or apples while removing the seeds and skins from your mixture. This important kitchen tool has many features that can make it great or fail. Here’s a list of these features:
- Durable materials
- Adequate capacity
- Simple care
- Changeable disks
- Ease of use
These features will allow you to determine what you need from your food mill. You’ll gain a better understanding of each one as you read.
Construction and Design
Food mills are strong constructions made from materials that can withstand heavy abuse and use. Tin was once the most popular material due to its lightweight and strength. You will still see a lot of it. Food mills can also be constructed from plastics and stainless steel. Although the plastic food mills can be strong, they can start to crumble after a while. If you don’t use them very often, they are great. Stainless steel is the best material for food mills. It is strong, durable, and, if you agree, it looks great.
When choosing a food mill, capacity is an important consideration. A high-capacity mill will make your job easier and more efficient, depending on the amount of food you are milling. A large mill can handle large quantities of potatoes in one go, while smaller mills require you to do multiple batches. A large-capacity food mill allows you to drain and then work your foods. This will allow you to save time by not having to wash your colander later.
Many food mills have interchangeable disks. These disks can be drilled with holes in different sizes to allow you to choose the size of your food. Food mills are versatile enough to process many types of food in different ways.
Performance and Ease of Use
A food mill is where you will do most of the work, so it should be easy to use. Some food mills have ergonomically designed handles that make them easier to hold and reduce stress. Before you decide on one, it is worth trying out several food mills.
It is important to consider the angle of the blade in the hopper. Food mills with low-angled blades can force food through the holes in the disk. The sharply angled blades will sweep your food around the bowl. The disks’ holes have smooth edges that make it easier for the blade to push food through.
It is as important to clean your food mill as it is to work with it. A food mill should be easy to clean. Most food mills can be washed in a dishwasher. It is essential that the machine can be disassembled easily so that each part can be cleaned thoroughly. This is where mills with removable disks are an advantage, as they are easier to disassemble.
Ease of cleaning
A food mill is easy to use, but should not cause you pain when cleaning. Your gadget should be dishwasher-safe and easy to clean. It is important that all containers and bowls can be washed and rinsed easily. Food mills can be difficult to clean due to their small spaces and hard work. You want it to be easy to assemble, has cleaning accessories, and opens easily.
You will find the best-sized, sharpest blades. The blade’s slope should be checked. If it is too steep, the blade will not work well if you make smaller batches with less food. The first thing you should do is to determine your requirements before purchasing the blade setting.
For larger and more bulky foods, the higher-sloped blades can be useful. The set can have 2 to 3 blades that you can interchange. The quality of your job will be affected by the blades. You will have no problems milling if you make the right choice. A strong, durable blade system is a must for the best food mills.
Easy cleaning will prevent foodborne diseases and make your product more hygienic. Jams and jellies made in a food mill usually last for longer in the fridge. It is better for your family’s health to keep the food clean and the product in better condition.
How easy do you want the job done? Food mills can cause severe muscle pain. It is important to choose a food mill that is easy to use. You can then choose the design and simplicity of the mill based on the purpose you intend to use it for.
You should feel relaxed and not get tired. While you’re working, it is important to be patient. Milling can be a tedious process. Therefore, comfort and convenience are key. Food mills that are the best will make sure your job is completed accurately and without any difficulties.
The price of a food mill is influenced by the materials used, its capacity, and the number of accessories included. The most expensive food mills can cost upwards of $150, while the more affordable options can be purchased for around $20. These lower-priced options are still of high quality.
Beware, there are also food mills that sell cheap food. These food mills will not last long and should be avoided. They can also be difficult to use and often are made from poor-quality materials.
How to Use Your Food Mill
You’re likely to be like most people and have never seen a food mill in a home kitchen. They are rare outside of professional kitchens, which is why they are so hard to find. You might not be able to use them because of this. There are many parts, and they can be intimidating.
You don’t have to worry about it once you learn the motion and the setup, you will be able to make a batch of potatoes in no time at all.
Step 1: Selecting the right disc
Most likely, your food mill will come with at least two to three discs with different hole sizes. These discs are usually labeled with the following: coarse, medium, or fine. This will help to determine the consistency of your mash. You may also find a size label on them. The coarse disc is best for mashed potatoes.
Step 2: Place your food mill
Next, follow the instructions to place it. You probably noticed that your food doesn’t have a place in your mill if you took a moment to look at it.
This is intentional. Food mills can be placed on top of saucepans or bowls that already exist, dropping prepared food right where it is needed. Place your food mill wherever you want it to be.
Step 3: Add food
Add your potatoes to this situation. Do not overfill your food mill. Although it might seem like it will save time, you will get better results and a smoother process if you add food to your food mill in smaller batches.
Step 4: Turn the crank
Turn the crank at the top of your food mill counterclockwise. You will be able to see and hear the food being processed and falling through. To ensure that the mill is secure, use your other hand. Continue working until all of the food is milled.
If there is a lot of debris left in the mill after you are done, turn the crank counterclockwise to get it back to the top. Once you’re done, you can scrape out any food left in the mill with a spoon or spatula.
Cleaning Your Food Mill
You will want to clean your food mill immediately after use or as soon as possible. You can leave your food mill open to allow food to congeal and cake, making it more difficult to clean. It is easiest to clean each piece individually, making sure that everything is spotless. Some food mills can be washed in the dishwasher, but not all. When we review the product, we’ll make sure to mention this.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I make mashed potatoes with a food mill?
A food mill is not recommended for mashing potatoes. A food processor is too powerful to make mashed potatoes. Food processors overwork potatoes. This results in a thick, gluey consistency no one will want to eat.
2. How does a food mill work?
A rotating blade grabs food and crushes it. The spinning forces food through the holes in the disc to a bowl or container below. This also allows you to separate the seeds from fruits like berries, etc.
3. Do the ingredients have to be prepared before they go through the food mill?
Some food mills are capable of processing raw fruits and potatoes. Some food mills require that the food be fully cooked or slightly pre-cooked before it can go through the machine. If you aren’t sure, it’s best not to be too cautious and soften the food before processing.
4. What other uses can I make with a food mill?
Food mills don’t have to be used for mashing potatoes. Your mill can be used to make delicious sauces like fresh tomato sauce or apple sauce. It can also be used to create smooth, blended soups.
You can also use them to make homemade baby food and pureed foods. A food mill is an excellent way to make healthy, fresh baby food, whether you have a child or not.
5. What’s the difference between a food processor and a food mill?
Food mills crush and extract the skins and seeds from food. The food processor then minces the food and purees the seed and skin. This can have an impact on the taste and appearance of food, so it may be necessary to take some time to remove them by hand.
A food mill is a great option if you don’t want to purchase store-bought sauces and purees with high amounts of salt and sugar. A food mill is a machine that removes the skin and seeds from fruits and vegetables and produces the liquid texture. Food mills that are easy to use and stress-free make cooking easier. We have many recommendations to help you find the best food mill for you.