A separate cocktail strainer is required if you are using a Boston shaker for cocktails. It will hold back the ice and stray herbs as well as citrus wedges while you pour your drink into a glass. There are many types of cocktail strainers available, but the Hawthorne strainer seems to be the most popular. It is essentially a perforated or slotted disk with a spring attached to the perimeter. The spring acts as a filter when liquid leaves the shaker.
No matter if you’re new to mixology, or looking for something to gift a friend who is a bartender, you will need a strainer. We compiled a list with the best strainers that you should be looking at right now.
We have compared the highest quality products to save you time and money. Are you unsure where to purchase Hawthorne strainers? We’ve got you covered! We will be reviewing 11 of our favorite Hawthorne cocktail strainers in this article.
- WHAT IS A HAWTHORNE STRAINER?
- List Of 11 Best Hawthorne Strainer Reviews
- 1. Hawthorne Bar Strainer By Modern Mixologist
- 2. OXO SteeL Cocktail Strainer
- 3. A Bar Above Copper Hawthorne Strainer Cocktail
- 4. Cocktail Kingdom Koriko Hawthorne Strainer
- 5. Crafthouse by Fortessa Collection Professional Metal Barware/Bar Tools
- 6. Winco Stainless Steel 4-Prong Bar Strainer
- 7. Hawthorne Bar Strainer By Modern Mixologist
- 8. NOLOGO Hawthorne Cocktail Strainer – Stainless Steel Bar
- 9. Viski Gold Hawthorne Strainer
- 10. Barfly Heavy Duty Spring Bar Strainer
- 11. SKY FISH Hawthorne Cocktail Strainer
- Buying Guide for the Best Hawthorne Strainer
- Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS A HAWTHORNE STRAINER?
What is a Hawthorne strainer, you ask? It’s the little piece of metal that bartenders use in order to prevent any ice or extra goopy stuff falling into your drink. These strainers are very handy and will keep your drink fresh and not diluted.
List Of 11 Best Hawthorne Strainer Reviews
1. Hawthorne Bar Strainer By Modern Mixologist
- A handy strainer that will last you a lifetime of entertaining at your home bar is what you are looking for. Modern Mixologists’ strainer will be a hit. This strainer is made by professionals for professionals and offers durability, quality, and longevity all in one.
- This strainer is easy to grab, especially when you are in dimly lit bars. This trainer makes it easy to apply to cocktail shakers thanks its superelastic spring. This strainer is made of heavy-duty stainless steel that will last a lifetime. This Hawthorne strainer is essential if you want to create perfect cocktails at home.
2. OXO SteeL Cocktail Strainer
- The review section will begin with the OXO Hawthorne strainer. This strainer is loved for many good reasons. Continue reading to find out why.
- This tiny tool has everything you could want in a Hawthorne cocktail strainer. It is made of strong stainless steel. It will continue to serve you for many years. It is capable of straining fruits, herbs, and other ingredients from your drinks.
- OXO designed this product to provide maximum comfort. You will be able to hold the strainer better when you pour delicious drinks through it. It won’t strain your hands and will be very easy to use.
3. A Bar Above Copper Hawthorne Strainer Cocktail
- It’s impossible to talk about bartending equipment and not mention products from bars. This brand exists to make awesome bar products.
- The strainer features high-density springs which will catch almost any object you throw at them. The strainer can be stored or hung anywhere you like with its convenient cut-out. You can also pour two cocktails simultaneously with the strainer.
- This compact Hawthorne strainer, made from 304 premium stainlesssteel, is dishwasher-safe. It is made from one piece of stainless steel so it won’t bend, rust, or break.
- It is the most popular strainer on the market due to its high-density Springs and compact ergonomic design.
4. Cocktail Kingdom Koriko Hawthorne Strainer
- Two years in development by Don Lee, the Koriko Hawthorne Strainer is the best in its class Made for heavy use with a very tight coil Designed to make it easy to do a true split pour Fits large, and standard mixing glasses 18/8 stainless steel.
5. Crafthouse by Fortessa Collection Professional Metal Barware/Bar Tools
- Hawthorne strainers can be a bit fragile and expensive. You need a great upgrade that will serve you well throughout your career as a bartender. This upgrade is for you!
- This durable Hawthorne strainer has no sharp edges or potential to hurt your hands. It is made of strong stainless steel. The spring coils are strong, but have enough flexibility to fit in most shaker cups.
- This allows you to make smooth, cool cocktails. The strainer has extra hold for pouring because of the four prongs. This strainer is undoubtedly the best Hawthorne on the market.
6. Winco Stainless Steel 4-Prong Bar Strainer
- This product is perfect for anyone who works in bars and needs something that’s affordable, but will still strain well. It is affordable and offers enough utility and value.
- This Winco strainer comes with four prongs. This is an added feature that makes straining and pouring drinks much easier. It does that. The two prongs at the front might not be long enough for larger cups. This is something you should keep in mind if your shakers are bigger.
- It fits most cups perfectly. It strains as it should, so there are no complaints. Although it isn’t the best product, it can be used for bar usage. Some people found the handle and edges too rough or sharp. If you decide to purchase this product, you will need to sand down the edges to prevent any injuries.
7. Hawthorne Bar Strainer By Modern Mixologist
- Tony Abou-Ganim, the Modern mixologist, designed this Hawthorne strainer. Although you might not be able to see it in the photo, the strainer’s spring is enormous. It’s almost comically huge. It’s that one thing that makes it so great.
- It is made of stainless steel and has a beautiful finish. It can hold a 28-ounce and an 18-ounce tin as well as a 16-ounce Tin. I am looking for a strainer with a good price and that is strong. This could be the right one for you.
8. NOLOGO Hawthorne Cocktail Strainer – Stainless Steel Bar
- 100 coil springs can filter smaller ice cubes. The spring can be removed for cleaning. Fine mesh with a cross-section, which provides a wider filter range and higher efficiency. 4 inches in diameter. Suitable for most shakers such as the Boston shaker. Safe and healthy, made from 304 stainless. Mirror polished on the strainer’s surface. This strainer is great for bartending.
- The cocktail strainer can be used for bartending at home or in bars. It makes it easy for professionals and others who don’t have bartending experience to mix a drink, liquor, alcohol or other drinks.
9. Viski Gold Hawthorne Strainer
- Curves are the most pleasing to the eyes. You can now get it in your Hawthorne Strainer, with no strings attached! Bartenders will be astonished by the Viski 5202 gold-plated strainer.
- This strainer is compatible with almost all bartending tumblers because of its flat handle and large face. This strainer is made of professional-grade copper and has been plated with gold. The spring can be removed, making it easy to wash by hand. This strainer is a great choice for anyone who wants something ergonomic, attractive, and efficient.
10. Barfly Heavy Duty Spring Bar Strainer
- You can choose how many prongs you prefer on a Hawthorne Strainer. There are three versions: a classic strainer without prongs; a heavy-duty strainer that has 2 prongs; and a heavy-duty strainer that has 4 prongs.
- You have the freedom to choose what you like. However, this is only the beginning of your versatility. There are six attractive finishes you can choose from: antique copper, copper and gold, gunmetal dark, stainless steel, vintage, and stainless steel. Each one is stunning, but my favorite is copper. If you’re a big fan of interior design, you can find one that matches your home bar.
- This strainer is heavy-duty and sturdy. It will strain cocktails perfectly without you having to strain them twice. Barfly also offers spare springs as an added bonus.
11. SKY FISH Hawthorne Cocktail Strainer
- This one has very few bells and whistles, but simplicity is often better. The handle has a hole that can be used to hang it on a hook.
- Sky Fish Hawthorne strainers are simple and affordable. They have a tight spring that will catch any fish that passes through them.
- This strainer has one drawback. It can’t pour two cocktails simultaneously, which is a problem for anyone working in a bar. This strainer is great if you are at home making your own drinks.
Buying Guide for the Best Hawthorne Strainer
There are some things you need to keep in mind when selecting a Hawthorne strainer. Keep reading to find out what they are.
Hawthorne strainers were made for Boston shakers. They do not come equipped with strainers. They do not come with strainers so it is important to ensure that your strainer fits all mixers.
A well-designed strainerhead is essential to ensure that shakers of different sizes fit well. The strainer spring goes inside the vessel. While the metal wings or prongs attach to the top of the container and hold it together, the Hawthorne strainer’s spring is located inside.
The strainer’s wings and prongs must be long enough that they can attach to larger shakers. This is especially important if you’re a bartender who uses different sizes of shakers.
Hawthorn strainers can be difficult to use if the handles are not ergonomic. We recommend that handles and grips be balanced, lightweight, and short (3.5 inches or less).
The strainer’s balance will be disturbed if the handle is too long or heavy. An improper balance could cause the strainer to flip backwards and fall from your shaker.
They are not required, but they can be beneficial as they make it easier to use. The finger grips give the user superior control and a secure grip over the Hawthorn strainer. Simply place your index finger on the tab and push it.
You can force the strainer’s head against the shaker’s mouth by pressing down on it. The tab can be used to control the strainer’s opening.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Mixing Equipment Is Used in Stir Method?
The stir method does not require that the cocktail be shaken vigorously to mix as the shake method. This method is gentler for mixing cocktails. This technique aims to mix ingredients gently and then dissolve ice to make the drink more liquid. This method also aims to chill the entire drink.
Bar spoons can be used to stir the mixture. Bar spoons are a long, elongated spoon that is designed for stirring. Mix the cocktail in any container: a traditional mixing glass, a straight-sided pint or cocktail shaker base glass, or a highball.
2. When Would You Use a Hawthorne Strainer?
Julep strainers are best for beginners who want to make it easy to use and clean. They are simple to use and manage. They are often suitable for smaller glasses.
A Hawthorne strainer is the best choice if you want a professional-looking smooth result with little to no fruit pulps, herbs bits or ice shards. These strainers are compatible with many shakers, glasses, mixers and other equipment. If you use multiple types of shakers, the Hawthorne strainer is best. Do you value a drink that is completely free of any bits or pieces? Use a fine mesh strainer.
3. How to Use a Hawthorne Strainer?
You have now found the perfect Hawthorne strainer, and you have purchased it. Next, what’s next? You will need to use it! If you’re a total beginner and don’t know how to use the Hawthorne strainer then here is a quick summary.
The Hawthorne strainers can be used over the Boston shaker’s large portion. The strainers have a small tab of metal at the top that you can use to adjust the strainer’s tightness.
Hawthorne strainers have springs that allow them to fit many sizes of shakers and mixing glasses.
First, mix your drink of choice with the strainer. Next, place the strainer, spring-side down, on top of your mixer, shaker or glass. The strainer should now be pushed inwardly so that the spring ends are inside the mixer.
You now have 11 great options and you are aware of the things you need to consider before purchasing the best Hawthorne strainer.
Mixing cocktails is an art form. The perfect Hawthorne strainer will allow you to show off your mix-making skills and impress your family and friends. Hawthorn strainers can be used to strain shaken cocktails. There are many styles. They have preferring holes and a flexible coil spring. You can adjust the coils to fit the size of your tin. This allows you to have different sizes of shakers while still being able to use the Hawthorne strainer.