Mashed potatoes are best eaten warm with butter. This is a classic way of eating in the history of mashed potatoes. Neither of us wants to eat mashed potatoes when they’re gummy, lumpy and cold.
However, not everyone knows how to reheat mashed potatoes but still retain the original consistency and scent. Today we’re going to work as a chef in 5-star restaurants with the following easy tips to reheat mashed potatoes that anyone can do.
4 Method Reheat Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes are a side dish that can be eaten fresh right away or eaten as leftovers for the next day. Mashed potatoes can also be prepared earlier in the day to be eaten for the party later. Whenever you plan on eating mashed potatoes, they will taste best when warm. Below you can read what you have to do to warm up your mashed potatoes.
Method 1: Reheat chilled or frozen mashed potatoes
Thaw chilled or frozen mashed potatoes:
- If you want to be served puree mashed potatoes and look like a freshly prepared dish, let it thaw first in case you’ve frozen them before. Thanks to this way, you can combine more cream and butter more easily. If you reheat a mixture from the freezer, give it more cooking time from the start until it’s warm and soft enough for the cream to combine successfully.
Reheat mashed potatoes to puree in a pan:
- Place a saucepan on the stove
- Then pour some cream and wait for it to boil. Depending on the amount of mash that you heat up and the size of the pan, it is best to start with less cream than the residue. At least, it must be enough cream to spread the bottom of the pan
- Simmer over low heat and then add the mashed potatoes.
- Stir well. Then flatten it until it’s shaped like a pancake and so you can cook faster.
- Keep stirring until all the purees are hot and blended together
- Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the mixture.
- For hygienic reasons, mashed potatoes must be at least 74 ° C (165 ° F) so that it is safe to eat.
Method 2: Oven mashed potatoes
This is a method of reheating mashed potatoes that’s popular with many people:
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C in advance.
- Stir a small amount of cream or cooking oil into the mashed potatoes mixture to moisten again. Cover the dish with foil. This will prevent the mashed potatoes from drying out or burning when in the oven.
- When the oven reaches the temperature, place the potatoes lean.
- Heat the mashed potatoes for about half an hour.
- Depending on how much the mashed potato you want to reheat, kindly check the mashed potato every five minutes after the first fifteen minutes to see if it has heated up.
- Put a little bit more cream into the mashed potatoes if your dish dries too much.
- As method 1, use a food thermometer to measure the internal temperature of mashed potatoes. For health reasons, mashed potatoes must have a temperature of at least 70 ° C before they are safe to eat.
Method 3: Reheat mashed potatoes in a slow cooker, add a little bit cream and butter to keep wet
- Prepare your slow cooker.
- Spread the butter or cooking oil inside the saucepan.
- Pour enough cream or milk into a slow cooker to cover the bottom.
- Add the mashed potatoes, turn it over and set the low heat.
- Eat mashed potatoes up to four hours after you put them in the slow cooker.
- In the meantime, it is better to stir well at least once an hour.
Method 4: Reheat mashed potatoes by steamed method
- Put the mashed potatoes in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with foil.
- Take a saucepan large enough to put the bowl in.
- Pour a reasonable amount of water into the pan for cooking.
- If the pan is deeper than the bowl, be careful not to put too much water in it.
- The pan should not be submerged.
- Bring to a boil, then turn on low heat to keep the water boiled.
- Place the bowl of mashed potatoes in the water.
- Stir the mashed potatoes every 15 minutes until the dish is ready to serve.
- Add more boiling water to the pan as it starts to evaporate.
How to Make a 100% Successful Mashed Potatoes
To reheat mashed potatoes, you need to prepare mashed potatoes in advance. You can also buy them in the store for your convenience, but I believe the fact that you do it yourself will make you more interested in your meal. The way to make mashed potatoes is also very simple, resulting in a delicious and nutritious dish. This is the traditional potato research recipe. To serve four people you need to prepare:
- Potatoes: 1kg
- Unsweetened fresh whole milk: 150ml
- Butter: 30 grams
- Salt and ground pepper
Recipe to make mashed potatoes is as below:
- Peel and cut potatoes into large pieces.
- Steamed them with a little salt for about 20 to 30 minutes. You can also boil them but make sure you need to drain them later. The most important thing to remember in this step is water at room temperature. This ensures the potatoes are evenly ripe. On the other hand, if you start with hot or boiling water, the outside of the potato will be ripe and soft while the middle is not yet ripe .
- Check that the potatoes are ripe by pressing in to see if they are tender.
- Put the cooked potatoes into the basket to drain and then mash finely using potato mash tools or a stiff spoon.
- Warm up the milk and melt the butter to use and mix the two ingredients together. This is a very important step. Warm butter and cream will easily blend into warmer potatoes, making them softer and smoother.
- Slowly add the milk and butter mixture to the mashed potatoes, then stir well to make the potato puree. The ideal consistency of the crushed mixture should be smooth but not gummy.
- Finally, flavor mash potatoes with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Question
1. How to retain the moisture of mashed potatoes when chilling or frozen them?
If you plan on freezing mashed potatoes before reheating then look for a recipe for mashed potatoes combined with cream or butter. With the amount of water in potato tubers, mashed potatoes are not moist enough to maintain texture during freezing. So it needs the help of butter or cream.
On the other hand, you can also replace butter, cream and cream cheese with other non-dairy products such as cooking oil or sauces. This way will also work. However, the taste will be different.
On the other hand, if you have a large bowl of mashed potatoes to prepare for tomorrow’s party, it is better to split and chill the mashed potatoes into small zip bags and keep in the refrigerator. Thanks to that, you can thaw the frozen mashed potatoes and reheat them more quickly.
2. Some dishes served with delicious mashed potatoes?
- Mashed potatoes can be eaten as a side meal or served with some of the following dishes:
- Grilled dishes such as grilled sausage, grilled chicken and roast beef
- Some fried dishes such as fried chicken, deep-fried pork
- Chicken soup
- Beefsteak with vegetables
- Pan-fried salmon
- Vegetable salad
3. Is thawing important because the mashed potatoes are then reheated anyway?
Thawing is not necessary if you want to heat the mashed potatoes quickly and eat them right away. However, the mashed potatoes will be reheated faster and more evenly if you thaw in time. There are also people who leave the frozen food to cook without knowing that doing so will cause the food to cook unevenly, the outside is overcooked, while the inside is not even cooked enough. Due to overcooking, nutrition will be lost, even making the food tastier.
4. Some note when reheat mashed potatoes in the right way
- The time and temperature for reheating mashed potatoes depend on your device and the amount of mashed potatoes mixture you reheat. That tasting the mashed potatoes regularly the first time you reheat will help you better understand how long it takes to reheat the mashed potatoes.
- A slow cooker is not recommended for reheating frozen or chilled mashed potatoes.
5. How to choose and buy fresh ingredients for mashed potatoes
To make delicious mashed potatoes, you need to choose delicious potatoes such as potatoes with pink-red skin and white flesh. They are usually round and oblong in shape. These potatoes will give you a mixture that is as soft as waxy. They are also very suitable for processing boiled, fried, baked and sliced dishes into salads.
If you can’t find red potatoes, you can also use the popular yellow potato.
Regardless of the type of potato, you need to choose potatoes that absolutely do not sprout. Because the sprouted potatoes will contain toxins that harm the health of the user.
Besides, you also need to pay attention to the origin and place of production of the potato with prestige and quality or not.
6. Can I eat mashed potatoes on my diet?
Mashed potatoes are a nutritious dish. If you are on diet and still want to eat mashed potatoes, you can reduce the calories and fat in this dish by changing the ingredients when cooking.
Specifically, you can replace whole milk with low-fat milk, replace butter with one part Greek yogurt or olive oil. It’s great to add some vegetables like cauliflower, turnip greens or spinach. This is the tip to help increase the fiber content and reduce energy while enriching the flavor of the dish. So the girls on a diet can still comfortably enjoy this dish.
How to reheat mashed potatoes with many methods will help you to add an attractive dish to the menu during the upcoming holidays or simple meals every day. For families with small children, mashed potatoes are also easy to eat and they can get used to in the early stages of weaning. So let’s go ahead. We hope that thanks to the above sharing, readers will know how to make and reheat mashed potatoes.